Posts Tagged ‘word of the day’
1. (verb) to officially and legally control a country and make all the decisions about taxes, laws, public services etc; to rule. Example: They elected new leaders to govern the country.
2. (verb) if rules, principles etc govern the way a system or situation works, they control how it happens. Examples: There is new legislation governing the export of live animals; The universe is governed by the laws of physics.
1. To demand that someone does something because it is a duty or seems reasonable. Examples: I expect you to clean your room before you leave the house / The officer expects complete obedience from his troops.
2. To think that something will happen because it seems likely or has been planned. Examples: I expect to be back within a week / I didn't expect him to stay so long.
3. To believe that someone or something is going to arrive. Examples: I am expecting a package to arrive by 3.00pm / Snow is expected on the weekend.
Did you know...? If someone says a woman is 'expecting' it means she is pregnant and is 'expecting' the arrival of a baby soon.
1. To need the support, help, or existence of someone or something in order to exist, be healthy, be successful etc. Examples:
The cat depended on the dog for warmth and comfort.
Many women have to depend on their husbands for their state pension.
The country depends heavily on its tourist trade.
2. If something depends on something else, it is directly affected or decided by that thing. Examples:
The length of time spent exercising depends on the sport you are training for.
Choosing the right bike depends on what you want to use it for.
A particular point in time. Example: It was an exciting moment!
Also used to refer to a short amount of time. Example: He was here just a moment ago.
Common phrases with the word moment...
In a moment / for a moment / just a moment - very soon (Example: I'll come back to that point in a moment / Can you come here for a moment? / Just a moment, I am busy.)
At the moment - now (Example: I am busy at the moment)
Any moment - extrememly soon (Example: Any moment now, he will walk in the door)
(Noun) - facts or signs that show clearly that something exists or is true. Example: At present we have no evidence of life on other planets; Do you have evidence that this treatment works?
(Verb) - to show that something exists or is true. Example: The volcano is still active, as evidenced by the recent eruption.
Similar word: Proof
Did you know...? The word 'evidence' was in the Oxford Dictionary's top 150 most-viewed words last year.