Posts Tagged ‘noun’
ESL Word of the Day – Catastrophe
(Noun) - A terrible event in which there is a lot of destruction, suffering, or death.
Example: The earthquake and tsunami in Japan has been a catastrophe.
Similar word: Disaster
ESL Word of the Day – Vacancy
1. A job that is available for someone to start doing. Example: We have no vacancies for photographers at the moment.
2. A room in a hotel or building that is not being used and is available for someone to stay in. Example: Let me see if we have a vacancy for tonight.
ESL Word of the Day – Graduation
(Noun) - the time when you complete your education or a university degree course. Example: After graduation, Neil moved to Ohio to become an accountant.
(Noun) - a ceremony at which you receive a university degree or diploma. Example: I am looking forward to my graduation day.
ESL Word of the Day – Adventure
(Noun) - An exciting experience in which dangerous, unusual or fun things happen. Example: We had a great adventure in the jungle today; Are there any adventure movies on at the cinema?
Willingness to try new things and take risks. Example: Come on - where's your sense of adventure?
ESL Word of the Day – Commute
(Verb) To make a journey between home and work. Example: Jim commutes to Manhattan every day.
(Noun) The journey to work each day. Example: My morning commute takes 45-minutes.
ESL Word of the Day – Promotion
1. A move to a more important job or position in a company or organization. Example: Your promotion to Senior Editor is now official.
2. An activity intended to help sell a product, or the product that is being promoted. Example: We are going to hold a Winter sales promotion.
3. The activity of persuading people to support something. Example: Next month will be the promotion our Summer range of clothes.
ESL Word of the Day – Scrutiny
(Noun) Careful and thorough examination of someone or something (usually to try to find mistakes).
Examples: Careful scrutiny of the company's accounts revealed a whole series of errors.
The employee was under scrutiny.
Similar words: examination, study, inspection, analysis
ESL Word of the Day – Evidence
(Noun) - facts or signs that show clearly that something exists or is true. Example: At present we have no evidence of life on other planets; Do you have evidence that this treatment works?
(Verb) - to show that something exists or is true. Example: The volcano is still active, as evidenced by the recent eruption.
Similar word: Proof
Did you know...? The word 'evidence' was in the Oxford Dictionary's top 150 most-viewed words last year.