English Conversation – Weekends
Sunday, December 6, 2015 @ 10:12 PM
In most parts of the world, the weekend refers to a two-day period of rest on Saturday and Sunday. However, this is not the case everywhere. Some countries have a six-day work week and only one day of rest, while other countries have their weekend starting on a Thursday or Friday. Weekends are usually a time of leisure and fun, and a time to rest, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
Video about weekend planning
- Ellen talks about a weekend where things do not go as planned. Have you ever had a weekend like this?
- Do you ever create a weekend to-do-list?
- If yes, do you usually complete your list?
Expressions about weekends
- A wet weekend – a weekend where it rains a lot
- Long weekend – a weekend that is three or more days in length, usually due to a national holiday
- Sunday best – refers to a smart outfit, for example, they type that people used to (or still do) wear to church on a Sunday
- Sunday driver – a driver that is very slow
Conversation questions about weekends
- What is your idea of perfect weekend?
- Do you have any hobbies that you like to do on the weekend?
- Do you usually go out to eat on the weekend?
- What time do you usually wake up on the weekend? What time do you usually go to bed?
- When it rains on the weekend, what do you usually do?
- What do you like to do on the weekend in the summer? What about in the winter?
- What’s the most memorable weekend have you had in the past years?
- What would life be like without weekends?
- How do you feel when your weekend is over?
- Do you ever have to work on the weekend? If yes, how do you feel about this?
- Do you have any traditions in your country regarding meals on weekends? For example, in some countries it is traditional to have a ‘Sunday roast’.
- Is there anything you dislike about weekends?
- Which are better – weekends now or weekends when you were a child?
- Do you do everything you want to do at the weekends?
- Some countries have a 6-day work week. What do you think this would be like?
- Sweden just reduced the length of work days to 6-hour. Do you think this is a good idea? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
- Are you happy with a two-day weekend or should it be longer?