English Conversation – Transportation
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 @ 11:05 AM
English Conversation - Transportation
This is the preparation material for an English Conversation lesson about different types of transport. Listen to an audio file in which five different people talk about the transport in their country. Learn some common phrasal verbs we use when discussing transport and discover how to answer some commonly asked conversation questions on this topic.
Download audio discussion about transport
Download transcript of audio discussion
* Audio courtesy of elllo.org.
Verbs and Transport
- catch a bus/train – “I am going to catch a bus to work today”
- drive a car – “I am going to drive my car to the service station”
- ride a bike/motorbike – “I am going to ride my bike to the shops”
- get a plane/taxi – “I am going to get a plane to London”
- To get on a bus/bicycle/motorbike/train - "Are you going to get on this bus or the next one?"
- To get off a bus/bicycle/motorbike/train - "We will be getting off the train at the next stop"
- To wait for the bus/train/taxi - "I have been waiting for the bus for 40 minutes, I hope it comes soon!"
- To get in the car/taxi - "Watch you don't bump your head as you get in the taxi"
- To get out of the car/taxi - "You will need to get out of the car, there are too many people in it"
- What forms of transportation do you use?
- Which transportation do you prefer – air, sea or road?
- Which form of transportation do you think is the safest? (train, bus, car, plane, bicycle, motorbike, boat, foot)
- What do you think of the transportation in other countries?
- Are you happy with the public transport system in your country?
- What type of transport do you think we will see in the future?
- What’s your favourite method of transportation?
- What do you think is the most dangerous form of transportation? Why?
- Do you often use public transportation?
- At what age can a person obtain a driver's license in your country?
- Do you drive a car often?
- What is your favourite kind of car? Why?
- What do you think about electric cars? Do you think all cars will be electric in the future?
- Can you ride a motorcycle?
- Do you think a motorcycle rider should be required to wear a helmet?
- Do you like riding a bicycle?
- Have you ever missed your last train or bus home?
- What do you usually do to keep yourself entertained when riding a train or bus?
- Do you sometimes take a taxi (cab)?
- Do you like traveling by aeroplane?
- Would you like to go on a cruise? Why or why not?
- Is there any environmentally-friendly transportation in your area?
[…]English Conversation – Transportation « English with Jo[…]…