English Conversation – Household Chores
Thursday, January 28, 2016 @ 05:01 PM
A chore is a routine task or job that is often done around the home. Many people find chores unpleasant or boring and are reluctant to do them. However, when chores are divided between many people they can be accomplished much faster. Parents often assign chores to their children so that they can learn new skills and become more independent. Sometimes, children are given an allowance or ‘pocket money’ if they complete all their household chores.
Watch a video giving strategies for assigning chores to children
- The woman in the video uses the expression ‘to lend a hand’. What do you think this means?
- What do you think of her strategies to get kids to do chores?
Types of chores
|Sweep the floor||Wash the car|
|Mop the floor||Tidy / Clean up your room|
|Vacuum the floor||Make the bed|
|Set the table||Dust the shelves|
|Clear the table||Hang out the washing|
|Wash the dishes||Fold the clothes|
|Unload the dishwasher||Iron the clothes|
|Take out the garbage||Mow the lawn|
Conversation questions about chores
- Who does the most chores in your home?
- What household chores are you responsible for?
- What chores do you husband/wife/children do?
- What chores do you dislike the most?
- Are there any chores that you enjoy doing?
- Did you have to do chores when you were a child? If yes, what ones?
- Did you receive an allowance (‘pocket money’) for completing chores?
- Do you have a weekly routine for doing chores?
- Do you sometimes avoid doing chores?
- What are some strategies for making chores easier?
- Do you ever hire someone to help you with chores?