English Conversation – Hotels
This is the preparation material for an English conversation lesson about hotels. A hotel is a place that people stay when they are on holiday or when they need to take a business trip to another city or country. There is a huge range of hotel types from budget hotels to super-luxurious ones. Some of the typical features of hotels are swimming pool, spa, sauna, gym, television, internet and restaurant. Nowadays, there are many unique and unusual hotels, such as hotels made of ice or hotels located high up in a tree. Most people enjoy staying in a hotel, but people who travel often may find that being home is far more enjoyable.
Video about hotels
- Would you like to stay at any of the hotels listed on the top 10 craziest hotels list? If yes, which one?
- Are there any hotels on the list that you would definitely avoid? If so, why?
Wake up call
|Check into||To begin your stay at a hotel||The ambassador checked into his favourite hotel upon arriving|
|Check out||To end and pay for your stay at a hotel||I checked out of the hotel this morning|
|Serve up||To serve food||At what time is breakfast served up?|
|Stay on||To remain somewhere for longer than expected||I’m enjoying my stay at the hotel so much that I’ve decided to stay on for another week|
Phrasal Verb Practice Questions
- Have you ever checked into a hotel?
- Have you ever enjoyed your stay at a hotel so much that you didn’t want to check out?
- At what time do you like to have breakfast served up when staying at a hotel?
- Have you ever stayed on somewhere?
- Do you like staying at hotels? Why/why not?
- How often do you stay at hotels?
- Do you normally stay at hotels for work/for pleasure?
- What's the longest you've ever stayed at the same hotel?
- Have you ever been to a hotel for a special occasion, such as a wedding or conference?
- Have you ever worked at a hotel? Can you think of any advantages or disadvantages of working at a hotel?
- Are there many hotels in your country/where you live?
- Are there any historic or luxurious ones? Why is it so special?
- Do you prefer to stay in hotels in the city, countryside or seaside?
- What's the best hotel you've ever stayed in?
- What’s the worst hotel you’ve stayed in?
- Have you ever been to a hotel with unique features?
- Have you ever stayed in a luxury hotel? What was it like?
- What do you look for when choosing a hotel? (for example, price, comfort, facilities)
- Which features are the most important for you – swimming pool, sauna, air conditioning, good view, good food, TV, internet connection, gym?
- Have you ever used room service?
- Have you ever had to lodge a complaint at a hotel?
- Have you ever had anything stolen at a hotel?
- What irritates you most about a hotel – bad service, small room, lack of cleanliness, noise, parking problems, bad food?
- Have you ever been upgraded to a better room?