English Conversation – Health
This is the preparation material for an English conversation lesson about health, healthy living and health care. There is a video containing a news report about strategies to improve people's health along with some questions to consider. There is also a list of commonly used idioms relating to health and conversation questions we might ask each other when discussing this subject.
Video about maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Do you already follow any of the recommendations provided in the video?
- Which one do you think is the easiest to do?
- Which one do you think is the hardest?
Idioms about health
- To be back on your feet – to recover from being unwell
- As fit as a fiddle – in good health
- Clean bill of health - an assurance that someone is healthy or something is in good condition
- A new lease on life - a renewed and revitalized outlook on life
- Recharge the batteries – to regain energy
- Under the weather – to not feel well
Conversation questions about health
- What are some things people can do to keep healthy?
- What are the most damaging things to people’s health?
- Is it possible to have a healthy life style in the modern world?
- What are the benefits of a healthy life style?
- What do you think are currently the most important health care issues?
- If you were the leader of your country, what would you do to improve health care?
- What do you think about natural remedies and alternative medicine?
- What are some of the types of traditional remedies used in your country? Do you think they are effective?
- Why do you think it has been found that people are getting less sleep than 50 years ago?
- Have you heard of the expression “you are what you eat”
- What health problems do you worry about most?
- Is health care in your country free for some people?
- Which is better, private or public health care?
- What are the best and worst jobs for health?
- What do you think is the most serious health problem in your country?
- What is the health service like in your country?
- Do you think traditional therapies are compatible with modern medicine?
- Why do you think diseases like cancer are increasing?
- Do you enjoy exercising?