English Conversation – Festivals & Celebrations
Monday, May 9, 2011 @ 07:05 PM
This is an English conversation lesson about festivals, carnivals, weddings and other celebrations. You can learn vocabulary and expressions associated with festivals and other celebrations as well as discover the most common questions people may ask you about this subject.
Click on the link below to watch a video about a festival in Japan.
- Are some of the characteristics of this festival similar to festivals in your own country? In what way?
|There are big celebrations on New Year’s Day.||The festival celebrates the New Year.||It was a public holiday and everyone was in a celebratory mood.|
|The festival is a time of renewal.||Each year, the festival renews the national spirit of the people.||The celebration brought renewed hope to the villagers.|
|The festival is held in March.||-||There was a festive mood in the village.|
|The parade in the town square was a very colourful spectacle.||-||The parade is always very spectacular.|
|Many customs have their origin in pagan ceremonies.||-||A ceremonial procession is held through the streets of the city.|
Common collocations used when talking about festivals
- Rich tradition – There is a rich tradition of music and dance in Sweden.
- Cultural heritage – Jazz is part of the cultural heritage of the southern United States.
- Festive season – The event marks the beginning of the festive season.
- Dates back – The tradition dates back to the Middle Ages.
Conversation questions about festivals and celebrations
- What are some of the most popular festivals or celebrations in your country?
- When are they celebrated?
- Are they celebrated as a family or a group?
- Are they religious holidays?
- Is attending a temple or a church on that day part of the celebration?
- Are there special foods connected with the celebrations?
- Is gift giving a part of these festivals?
- Are there specific types of gifts to be given?
- What are some of the things that are done at this festival or celebration?
- Do you enjoy the festival?
- What activities normally take place at festivals?
- Do you decorate your house for the celebration?
- Are there special songs associated with the celebration?
- Are there different festivals held in different regions within your country?
- Can you tell me about the wedding traditions in your country?
- Are all wedding ceremonies religious, or can there be non-religious ceremonies as well?
- Describe the wedding you've been to or heard about.
- What gifts do guests usually give to the bride and groom?
- Are there any traditional wedding dances or songs in your country?
- Do you celebrate New Year’s Eve in your country?
- How do you celebrate it?
- Do you enjoy going to festivals? Why / Why not?