English Conversation – Famous People
Saturday, August 20, 2011 @ 08:08 AM
This is the preparation material for an English Conversation Lesson about Celebrities and Famous People. Listen to an audio file about working in Holywood; learn some common collocations and idioms about famous people and discover how to answer conversation questions about this fascinating subject.
Listen to an audio file about working in Hollywood
Download Working in Hollywood Audio
Working in Hollywood Transcript
* Audio courtesy of elllo.org
- Would you like to work in Hollywood?
- What are the disadvantages of working in Hollywood?
Collocations about Celebrities
- Exclusive interview – an interview where the information is only shared with one source and not any other
- Lavish lifestyle – a rich and extravagant way of life
- Fairytale wedding – a perfect wedding, like that of a princess.
- Prenuptial agreement – a legal agreement made before marriage dealing with the distribution of money and property in the event of a divorce.
- Highest accolade – top symbol of praise and approval
- Glowing tributes – extremely positive comments
- A big break / a lucky break – to achieve significant good fortune or opportunity
- One is a victim of their own success – when a person’s success has negative effects as well as or instead of positive ones.
- Who is your favourite celebrity?
- Which celebrities do you dislike?
- Would you like to be famous? Why or why not?
- Do you think anyone can become a celebrity?
- Which celebrities, if any, would you like to meet?
- Do you think celebrities like Oprah Winfrey deserve the millions of dollars they get paid?
- Which celebrity do you most admire and why?
- Why are so many people obsessed with celebrities?
- What aspects of your present life would you miss if you became a celebrity?
- Have you ever met a famous person?
- Do you think famous people have the right to have a private life?
- What do you think of the paparazzi?
- Why do you think there is such a high demand for gossip magazines and gossip TV programs?
- What are the pros and cons of being a celebrity?
- Do you think it is unhealthy for fans to become obsessed with a particular celebrity?
- If you could influence people like a celebrity does, how would you use it for the benefit of the planet?
- Do you think there is a relationship between beauty and celebrity?
- Do you think fame makes people happy?
- Should celebrities be role models for example in advertising?
- Do you think that some celebrities earn much more money than they deserve taking into consideration what they produce?