English Conversation – Famous People
This is the preparation material for an English Conversation Lesson about Celebrities and Famous People. Listen to an audio file about working in Holywood; learn some common collocations and idioms about famous people and discover how to answer conversation questions about this fascinating subject.
Listen to an audio file about working in Hollywood
* Audio courtesy of elllo.org
- Would you like to work in Hollywood?
- What are the disadvantages of working in Hollywood?
Collocations about Celebrities
- Exclusive interview – an interview where the information is only shared with one source and not any other
- Lavish lifestyle – a rich and extravagant way of life
- Fairytale wedding – a perfect wedding, like that of a princess.
- Prenuptial agreement – a legal agreement made before marriage dealing with the distribution of money and property in the event of a divorce.
- Highest accolade – top symbol of praise and approval
- Glowing tributes – extremely positive comments
- A big break / a lucky break – to achieve significant good fortune or opportunity
- One is a victim of their own success – when a person’s success has negative effects as well as or instead of positive ones.
- Who is your favourite celebrity?
- Which celebrities do you dislike?
- Would you like to be famous? Why or why not?
- Do you think anyone can become a celebrity?
- Which celebrities, if any, would you like to meet?
- Do you think celebrities like Oprah Winfrey deserve the millions of dollars they get paid?
- Which celebrity do you most admire and why?
- Why are so many people obsessed with celebrities?
- What aspects of your present life would you miss if you became a celebrity?
- Have you ever met a famous person?
- Do you think famous people have the right to have a private life?
- What do you think of the paparazzi?
- Why do you think there is such a high demand for gossip magazines and gossip TV programs?
- What are the pros and cons of being a celebrity?
- Do you think it is unhealthy for fans to become obsessed with a particular celebrity?
- If you could influence people like a celebrity does, how would you use it for the benefit of the planet?
- Do you think there is a relationship between beauty and celebrity?
- Do you think fame makes people happy?
- Should celebrities be role models for example in advertising?
- Do you think that some celebrities earn much more money than they deserve taking into consideration what they produce?