English Conversation – Christmas
Monday, December 19, 2011 @ 08:12 PM
This is an English Conversation Lesson about Christmas. Listen to an Audio Discussion about the meaning of Christmas and the types of traditional food we eat at this special time of year in different countries. Learn some common adjectives we use to describe Christmas and discover a wide range of conversation questions we can ask about this subject.
Download Audio Discussion about Christmas
Download Transcript of Audio Discussion
* Audio courtesy of elllo.org
Adjectives to Describe Christmas
- Decorative – (used as a decoration). Marie made a beautiful, decorative wreath out of pine branches and red flowers.
- Festive – (having a party-like atmosphere). We attended a lively Christmas celebration. Everything was decorated in bright, festive colours and we sang and danced the night away.
- Frosty – (cold, chilly, icy). The night air and heavy snow gave way to a beautiful white Christmas with blue skies and relatively warm temperatures.
- Glistening – (reflecting flashes of light, sparkling). The ornaments looked like stars on the Christmas tree.
- Jingling – (sounding like small ringing bells). As Santa landed on the roof of our house, we could hear the tapping of little reindeer hooves and a symphony of jingling sleigh bells
- Jolly – (very happy, joyful). In America, Santa Claus is usually depicted as a jolly, fat man who brings gifts to young boys and girls.
Conversation Questions about Christmas
- Do you enjoy Christmas time?
- How do you celebrate Christmas?
- Do you put decorations in your house or outside your house?
- Do you ever get stressed at Christmas time?
- Would you like to have a White Christmas?
- Do you think you will have a White Christmas this year?
- Did you believe in Santa Claus when you were a child?
- Do you remember any Christmas celebrations you had as a child?
- Do people behave differently during Christmas?
- Do you attend any special religious ceremonies during the Christmas season?
- Do you go to church on Christmas day?
- Do you have a Christmas tree?
- Do you have any plans to go to a Christmas party?
- Do you see your relatives at Christmas time?
- Does your work have a Christmas party?
- Have you ever celebrated Christmas in a foreign country?
- What are some popular foods for the Christmas season?
- What is the best Christmas you have ever had?
- What is your attitude toward the commercialization of the Christmas season?
- Are there any special songs in your country that you don't hear here?
- What traditions do you have during the Christmas season?
- When do you give Christmas presents?
- When do you open Christmas presents?
- Is it important to buy presents at Christmas?
- When does your family decorate the Christmas tree?
- Why do you think some people do not like Christmas?
- If you could change something about Christmas time, what would it be?
- Is Christmas the same today as it was 100 years ago?
- Have you ever had a Summer Christmas?
I cannot play this file. it seems to be corrupted.
Apologies, it appears the audio file is corrupted and I have been unable to fix it so I have removed it.
I have now uploaded a new audio file.
Thank you, Jo. A nice lesson!
Hi Jo! That was really nice to read your blog. It also taught me certain things and its usages. I appreciate sharing our knowledge this way. I am going to recommend this blog to children for learning English better. The way you have taught here is really very easy to understand.
Your method will help me in my teaching also.
Thanks and keep posting!