Archive for the ‘ESL Word of the Day’ Category
ESL Word of the Day – Catastrophe
(Noun) - A terrible event in which there is a lot of destruction, suffering, or death.
Example: The earthquake and tsunami in Japan has been a catastrophe.
Similar word: Disaster
ESL Word of the Day – Compassion
A strong feeling of sympathy for someone who is suffering, and a desire to help them
Examples: The Doctor felt compassion for his patient with cancer / The criminal had no compassion for his victim.
Similar word: empathy
ESL Word of the Day – Confess
(Verb) - to admit, especially to the police, that you have done something wrong or illegal. Example: Edward confessed to being a spy.
To admit something that you feel embarrassed about. Example: I must confess I don't visit my parents as often as I should.
Similar word: Admit
ESL Word of the Day – Vacancy
1. A job that is available for someone to start doing. Example: We have no vacancies for photographers at the moment.
2. A room in a hotel or building that is not being used and is available for someone to stay in. Example: Let me see if we have a vacancy for tonight.
ESL Word of the Day – Graduation
(Noun) - the time when you complete your education or a university degree course. Example: After graduation, Neil moved to Ohio to become an accountant.
(Noun) - a ceremony at which you receive a university degree or diploma. Example: I am looking forward to my graduation day.
ESL Word of the Day – Adventure
(Noun) - An exciting experience in which dangerous, unusual or fun things happen. Example: We had a great adventure in the jungle today; Are there any adventure movies on at the cinema?
Willingness to try new things and take risks. Example: Come on - where's your sense of adventure?
ESL Word of the Day – Commute
(Verb) To make a journey between home and work. Example: Jim commutes to Manhattan every day.
(Noun) The journey to work each day. Example: My morning commute takes 45-minutes.
ESL Word of the Day – Promotion
1. A move to a more important job or position in a company or organization. Example: Your promotion to Senior Editor is now official.
2. An activity intended to help sell a product, or the product that is being promoted. Example: We are going to hold a Winter sales promotion.
3. The activity of persuading people to support something. Example: Next month will be the promotion our Summer range of clothes.