Business English – Globalisation
This is the preparation material for a Business English conversation lesson about globalisation and multinational business. A multinational company is one that operates in more than one country, and typically operates in a number of major global markets. Examples of multinationals are Coca-Cola, Cadbury Schweppes, McDonalds, Kellogg’s and many more. An important characteristic of these organisations is that they have well established corporate brands that are widely recognised. Globalisation has changed society in many ways. Some people believe this has been a positive change, while others argue that it has had many negative impacts.
- What problem does the speaker explain is caused by globalisation?
- Have you seen any example of this?
- Have you ever worked for a multinational company?
- If yes, did you enjoy it?
- If no, would you like to work for a multinational company? Why / why not?
- Why do you think there has been an increase in multinational companies in the last 50 years?
- How has this increase impacted on language learning?
- How does technology help in the operations of global companies?
- What does globalisation mean to a consumer?
- What does globalisation mean to a business?
- What does globalisation mean to countries?
- What are the advantages of multinational business?
- What are the disadvantages of multinational business?
- What are the benefits of international trade?
- How would life be different if countries did not trade with their neighbours?
- What is your opinion about outsourcing labour to third world countries?
- How does globalisation benefit a company?
- How does it benefit society?
- What problems might occur as a result of a small number of companies having a lot of power?
- What are the causes of globalisation?
- What are the negative impacts of globalisation?
- How has the increase in multinational companies changed the way we eat/what we wear?
- How has globalisation affected the environment?