Business English – Communication
This is the preparation material for a Business English conversation topic about communication. Good communication skills are essential to the success of any organisation or company. The internal culture and the external image of an organisation determine what is communicated, by whom, and at what level in the organisation. Good business communication practices help the organisation to achieve its objectives. If organisations are to survive in the rapidly changing world of technology and globalisation, they must continually change the way communication processes are delivered. For example, nowadays businesses use teleconferencing, video conferences and even social networking as part of their day-to-day communications.
Video about Communication
- According to the video, how has business communication changed over the years?
- What do you think about the recommendations for improving communications?
- What makes effective communication?
- What are some barriers to effective communication?
- Do you think cultural differences can affect communication?
- Which do you think is more effective – oral or written communication?
- Which skill do you think is more important – oral skills or written skills?
- Do you think employees spend too much time reading and writing emails?
- What are the features of an effective business letter?
- What is the best way to convey bad news regarding a business project?
- What is the best way to communicate a complaint?
- How important is non-verbal communication?
- Which do you think is more important – listening or speaking?
- Are you a good listener?
- How do we know if communication has been successful?
- Have you worked for a company with good internal communication? In what ways was it good?
- Do you think the layout of an office can affect internal communication? In what ways?
- What factors are important for effective external communication?
- What’s your preferred method of communication in the workplace – telephone, email or face-to-face?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of online communication?
- Do you find it easy or difficult to communicate with someone in a higher position?
- What impact has the growth of technology had on the way people communicate and how do you think this will develop in the future?