English Conversation – Travel
This is the preparation material for an English conversation lesson about travel and vacations. There is an audio discussion about backpacking with some questions to consider, as well as some common idioms we use when talking about holidays and travel. There are also some conversation questions relating to this subject.
Audio discussion about backpacking
* Audio courtesy of elllo.org.
Questions about audio discussion
- Do you agree that backpackers are like a community?
- Do you think that they behave differently to tourists?
- Do you think backpackers experience more of a country and culture than other travellers?
Idioms and slang terms we might use when talking about travel
- Travel bug – The urge to travel
- Off the beaten track/path –a place where few people go, away from the frequently travelled routes.
- Travel light – to bring very few things with you when you on a trip
- To hit the road – to leave a place or begin a journey
- Bright and early – very early in the morning
Conversation questions about travel
- What are the main reasons people travel?
- What are some benefits of travel?
- Do you travel much within your country?
- Have you travelled outside your country?
- Where have you been?
- What is the best place you have been to?
- Do you have any current travel plans?
- Could you live in another country for the rest of your life?
- What was your best holiday you have ever had?
- What is your worst travel experience?
- Have you ever travelled on your own?
- Do you prefer to travel on your own or with others?
- What are your favourite types of vacations?
- How are environmental problems changing the way people travel?
- How does the recession affect people’s travel plans?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of tourism?
- Do you have a fear of flying?
- Do you ever have to travel for business?
- Do you prefer to travel by train, bus, plane or ship?
- Have you ever been in a difficult situation while traveling?
- How do you spend your time when you are on holiday and the weather is bad?
- Do you like camping holidays?
- Are there any countries that you would never like to visit? Why?
- What are some things that you always take with you on a trip?
- What countries would you like to visit? Why?
- What's the most beautiful place you've ever been to?
- When was the last time you travelled?
- Where type of accommodation do you like to stay in when you travel, for example, hotel, cabin, tent, lodge?
- Do you prefer to visit another country or travel within your own country?
- Do you prefer to visit cities or more remote areas?
- Do you like traveling to countries that have a different language from your own?
- What types of leisure activities do you do on your holiday?
- What are popular tourist destinations in your country?
- Do you prefer active or relaxing holidays? Why?
- Do you travel with a lot of baggage or do you like to travel light?
- Do you prefer hot countries or cool countries when you go on holiday
- Who makes the decisions when your family decides to go on holiday
- Would you like to travel to space?
- Can you think of any bad things about travelling?