English Conversation – Technology
This is the preparation material for an English Conversation Lesson about Science and Technology. It raises important questions such as: has technology made our lives better? What are the dangers of technology? What changes will technological developments bring to our future? There is a video to watch, some common idioms we use when talking about technology and typical questions we might ask eachother when discussing this subject.
A video to watch about technology
Discussion questions about the video
- What feeling did you get from watching the video – did it make you excited or fearful about the future? Why?
- Do you think the speed of technology advancement is a good thing or a bad thing?
Here are some common verbs which we might use when talking about technology:
- Invent – to make, design, or think of a new type of thing
- Discover – to find someone or something, either by accident or because you were looking for them
- Analyse – to examine or think about something carefully, in order to understand it
- Conclude – to decide that something is true after considering all the information you have
- Patent – to obtain a special document giving you the right to make or sell a new invention or product
Idioms we might use when discussion technology
- Cutting edge – something that is cutting edge is at the forefront of progress in this area.
- Light years ahead – if something is light years ahead, it is a long way in front in terms of development and success.
- In the near future – it will happen very soon
- Time will tell – after some time passes, we will know; we will find out in the future.
Conversation questions about technology
- What are some of the greatest technological achievements of all-time?
- Overall, do you think technology is a good or bad thing?
- What is your favourite piece of technology?
- What are the main ways in which technology has changed society?
- What are the main technological changes you have seen in your life?
- Do you think technology has made us more impatient and lazy?
- What new technology do you think will be introduced in the future?
- Do you think modern society has become obsessed with technology?
- Do you always trust technology?
- Are there any examples where you have experienced something going wrong with technology?
- What technology is dangerous?
- What do you think elderly people think of modern technology?
- How have technological advances affected your life?
- Do you think modern technology reduces or increases stress? Why?
- Does the potential that technology has to change the world scare you?
- How do you think technology will change the world in the next 100 years?
- How has technology changed education?
- How has technology changed business?
- How has technology changed communication?
- How has technology changed medicine?
- How has technology changed the way wars are fought?
- How has technology changed society and everyday life?
- What are the main advantages of technology?
- What are the main disadvantages of technology?
- Do you think mobile/cell phones are bad for our health?
- What do you think robots should be used for?
- Do you think robots will cause unemployment (loss of jobs) in the future or make more work? Why?
- How do you think face to face communication differs from communication using computers?
- What social changes have cell phones made?
- What are good and bad points of using computers?
- Do you think money should be spent to explore space or is it better spent helping people on earth? Why?