Register For This Site
English Conversation – Social Networking
Watch a video with some amazing fact about social media in today’s society; read a news article about the effects of social networking in the work place; learn some internet related idioms and discover some common conversation questions that people ask eachother about this fascinating subject.
Learn some amazing facts about social networking
News article about social networking
Too distracted to work… the gadget addicts who can’t resist taking calls and going on Facebook during office hours
By Fiona Macrae, Daily Mail
5th August 2011
Bosses spend millions of pounds on handing out mobile phones, laptops and BlackBerries to make sure their staff are in constant touch.
But the devices supposed to boost productivity appear to be having the opposite effect.
A survey of more than 1,000 British office workers found that many are so addicted to new technology that they can’t help but take phone calls, send text messages and access social networking sites when in meetings.
For some, the lure of being constantly in touch is so strong that they will continue to take calls and listen to messages even when told to switch off their phone or put away their laptop or iPad by their boss.
Many excuse their bad manners by saying they need to be on top of their work, without realising the constant distractions are stopping them from doing their job properly.
Software firm harmon.ie questioned 1,140 London office workers about their mobile manners.
It found that during face-to-face meetings, 41 per cent remain glued to their gadgets, texting, listening to voice messages and checking and sending emails.
Almost one in ten post information on social networking sites such as Facebook in meetings.
Internet related idioms
- Surf the net/web – to spend time looking at different pages on the Internet.
- Get your wires crossed – when there has been a misunderstanding between people, usually related to making arrangements.
- To take by storm – to captivate people’s attention; when something becomes very popular
Conversation questions about social networking
- Do you use social networking sites?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of social networking?
- Do you think social networking is changing the way people behave?
- Is it possible that social networking sites make people lonelier?
- What kind of information are you comfortable releasing to the public?
- Are social networking sites for people who aren’t good at meeting people face to face?
- What are the best social networking sites?
- Should companies ban their employees from using social networking sites at work?
- What new features would you like to see on social networking sites?
- Are social networking sites dangerous?
- Should children be allowed to use social networking sites?
- Have you managed to contact some of your old friends using social networks?
- Do you think social networking sites should have advertising?
- Do you think relationships that start online are less likely to succeed?
- Does social networking change the way companies act now that it is easier for people to post bad customer experiences on the internet?
- Would you prefer to network online or offline?
- Do you feel worried about your personal information being used by others?
- Do you ever use social networking to improve your English?