English Conversation – Shopping
This is the preparation material for an English conversation lesson about Shopping.
A lot of people enjoy going shopping, especially for clothes or entertainment goods. It is fun to browse around the shops and boutiques in a department store and the most exciting time to shop is when there are sales and discounts. One type of shopping that most people do not like is grocery shopping. It can be a little boring.
Watch this video showing people answering the following conversation questions about shopping:
- Do you like shopping?
- Why do/don’t you like shopping?
- How often do you go shopping?
- What do you like shopping for?
- Do you prefer shopping for yourself or for others?
How would you answer these questions?
Cashier / Shop assistant
Cash register / till
Change room/fitting room
Expensive / costly
- Try on – put clothes on to see if they fit
- Shop around – to look in many shops in order to find the right price, quality etc.
- What is your favourite shop and why do you like it?
- What don’t you like about shopping?
- Do you like shopping on the Internet?
- Which is the most popular place to shop in your hometown?
- What kind of shops does it have?
- Do you like to pay with a credit card or with cash?
- If you had 1 million euros, what would you buy?
- What is something you would like to buy?
- Is it difficult for you to choose what to buy?
- Do you like to buy things for other people?
- What things do you dislike shopping for?
- What was the last thing you bought for someone else?
- Do you prefer large department stores or small boutiques?
- Do you prefer to go shopping on your own or with others?
- Who do you like to go shopping with?
- When you buy something, do you "shop around" and go to many stores to compare prices?
- When you buy something, what is most important to you: price, quality or fashion trend?
- Do you like to try on an item of clothing before you buy it?
- What is better as a present, to give money or to buy something?
- Is it important that gifts are expensive?
- What gifts do you like to buy?