English Conversation – Safety
This is the preparation material for an English conversation lesson about safety. Safety is the state of being "safe". It is the condition of being protected against physical, social, financial, political, occupational, psychological, or other types or consequences of failure, damage, error, accidents, or any other event which could harm you. Safety can also be defined as the control of hazards to achieve an acceptable level of risk. This can take the form of being protected from the event or from exposure to something that causes harm. It can include protection of people or of possessions.
- Rebecca describes some of the safety measures that are taken in her workplace. Can you describe some safety measures taken at your workplace?
* Audio courtesy of elllo.org.
Collocations with ‘Safety’
Can you guess what these collocations mean?
- Safety measures
- Safety concerns
- Safety check
- Public safety
- Personal safety
- Food safety
- Safety pin
- Safety boots
- Safety seat
- Safety glass
- How often do you think about your safety?
- Do people worry too much about safety?
- Do you worry about the safety of those around you?
- What is more important to you, safety or convenience?
- Would you fly with a really cheap airline that didn’t have such a good safety record?
- What are the safety standards like in workplaces in your company?
- What safety measures should be taken by people going camping in the wilderness?
- Do you worry about food safety?
- Do you always feel safe in your own home?
- What is road safety like in your country?
- Do you have laws about fire safety in your country?
- What safety features do you think should be in all cars?
- What do you do to ensure the safety of your valuables?
- What safety issues will we worry about in the future?
- Do you wear seat belts?
- Do you lock the doors when you get inside your car?
- How can you make a house safe for children to live in?
- What are some safety concerns in the winter when you drive your car?
- Do you think there are too many health and safety regulations?