English Conversation – Music
Music is an art that puts sounds together in a way that people like or find interesting. Most music includes people singing with their voices or playing musical instruments, such as the piano, guitar, or drums. People can enjoy music by listening to it. They can go to concerts to hear musicians perform. Classical music is usually performed in concert halls, but sometimes huge festivals are organized in which it is performed outside, in a field or stadium, like pop festivals. People can listen to music on CDs, Computers, iPods, television, the radio, cassette/record-players and even mobile phones. People can learn to play an instrument such as the piano, the guitar, the bass, the trumpet, the drums, or the flute. Anyone can make up his or her own pieces of music. It is not difficult to compose simple songs or melodies (tunes), but it's easier for people who can play an instrument themselves.
* Audio courtesy of elllo.org
- Adrienne’s mother made her play the violin from a very young age. Do you think it is right for parents to force their children to do an activity like this? What about if they enjoy it?
- Have you seen the movie The Sound of Music? Did you enjoy it?
- Get into – to become involved or interested: ‘She’s been getting into pop music recently.’
- Turn up – to increase the volume: ‘Could you please turn up the music, I can’t hear it’
- Turn down – to reduce the volume: ‘You need to turn down the music, the neighbours are complaining about the noise.
- What types of music do you like?
- What is your favourite music group?
- Who is your favourite musician or singer?
- How have your musical tastes changed since when you were a kid?
- Do you play a musical instrument? How long have you been playing?
- Can you sing? Have you ever sung in karaoke?
- What types of music do you dislike?
- Do you think music can affect our emotions?
- Where do you usually listen to music?
- What do you think are the most popular occasions for listening to music?
- Have you ever been to a music concert? What kind?
- What do you think life would be like without music?
- Where in the world does the best music come from?
- What decade has produced the best music?
- Do you think the Internet is helping or hindering the music industry?
- Do you like to dance?
- Do you listen to music while you are doing other activities?
- How much time do you spend listening to music?
- How often do you listen to the radio?
- Is live music popular in your country?
- What are some traditional musical instruments in your country?
- Why do you think music is important and how does it affect different people?
- Why is music so important to people and culture?
- Do you prefer listening to songs in your own language or in another language?
- Does music affect unborn children?