English Conversation – Movies
This is the preparation material for an English Conversation lesson about movies. There are some common terms and idioms that we use when discussing movies and a list of conversation questions that people might ask eachother when talking about this subject.
Audio discussion about movies
Vocabulary we might use when talking about movies
- The big screen – this is a slang way of referring to the movie cinema.
- Entertaining – something which entertains; amusing and interesting.
- Intense – containing strong emotions/feelings or extreme in nature.
- Thought-provoking – something that makes you think hard.
- Hilarious - something which is extremely funny.
Idioms we might use when talking about movies…
- Waste of time – giving your time to something that turns out to be useless.
- Frame of mind – a temporary psychological state
- All-time favourite – something that is your favourite thing in your whole life.
Questions about Movies
- What are the movie genres that you like?
- What is your favourite movie? Why do you like it?
- Are there any kinds of movies you dislike? If so, what kinds? Why do you dislike them?
- What is the scariest/funniest/most romantic movie you have ever seen?
- What is the worst movie you’ve ever seen?
- Who is your favourite actor or actress? Why?
- Is there a movie you could watch over and over again?
- Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction movies?
- Do you like documentaries?
- Do you prefer to watch movies at home or at a movie theatre?
- How often do you go to the cinema?
- Do you think there should be more movies made in your country?
- What kinds of movies are popular in your country?
- What do the popular movies in your country show about your culture?
- Is the movie industry in your country strong? Why or why not?
- Do you think there is too much violence in movies? Does it affect children?
- Have you ever cried in a movie?
- Do you choose a movie based on its plot/story or the actors?
- Are most of the films you watch in English or your native language?
- Do you like Hollywood movies? Why or why not?
- Do you think it is right for Hollywood movies to be the movies that are seen most around the world?
- Do you think that movies from different countries can teach us about other cultures?
- Do you think movies have made society more violent?
- What makes a great movie for you?