English Conversation – Hobbies
This is the preparation material for an English Conversation lesson about hobbies and interests. There is an audio file in which two people discuss their hobbies, some common idioms that we might use when discussing hobbies and a list of conversation questions that people might ask eachother when talking about this subject.
Mary has a lot of hobbies and interests. She usually gets up early so she can run before work. She doesn't often have time to ski, but she occasionally goes on Saturdays during the winter. Mary often rides a horse at a stable near here home. She sometimes goes after work, but she usually goes horseback riding on Sundays. She loves music. She always goes to choir practice on Wednesday evenings and sings in church on Sundays. She doesn't have much extra money, so she rarely goes to concerts in the city. She seldom watches TV because she likes doing things outside. She usually goes to the gym if it's raining outside. She isn't often alone because she has a lot of friends. She occasionally does something alone, but she usually does her activities with one of her friends.
Audio discussion about hobbies
Expressions and idioms in the audio discussion
Can you work out what some of these idioms mean from the context of the discussion?
- My number one hobby
- It is kind of tiresome
- It’s questionable
Idioms we might use when talking about hobbies
- All-rounder – someone who is good at many things
- Up to scratch – at an acceptable standard
- Take the bull by the horns - accept the challenge and try your hardest
- Get stuck into – to perform with determination, to dedicate a large amount of effort towards something
- Throw in the towel – to give up on something
Conversation questions about hobbies and interests
- What do you think are some of the most popular hobbies that people have?
- Why do people have hobbies?
- Which hobbies are the most popular in your country?
- Which hobbies are the most popular with women in your country?
- Which hobbies are the most popular with men in your country?
- Which hobbies are popular with children?
- What do you do in your free time?
- How much time do you usually spend on your hobbies?
- What do your hobbies say about you?
- Have your hobbies changed throughout the years? Why?
- Are your hobbies expensive?
- What hobbies would you like to try soon?
- What are the strangest hobbies you have heard of?
- What hobbies would you like to try but have no courage trying out yet?
- What is your number one hobby?
- How long have you had this hobby?
- Why did you start your hobby?
- Can you make money from doing your hobby?
- Does your hobby interfere with your work or personal life?
- Does your hobby influence your choice of friends?
- Which hobbies are the most expensive?
- Which hobbies are the cheapest?
- Did you have any hobbies when you were a child?
- Are there any hobbies you would like to try?
- Which hobbies do you think are the most difficult?
- Are there any activities that you used to do but don’t do anymore? Why did you stop?