English Conversation – Fashion
Fashion and Clothing
This is the preparation material for an English Conversation Lesson about Fashion and Clothing. You can listen to an audio discussion between two people about fashion, learn useful vocabulary, idioms and phrasal verbs relating to fashion and clothing, and discover how to answer common conversation questions that people ask about this subject.
- Scruffy – dirty and untidy
- Dressy – suitable for formal occasions
- Baggy – loose clothing
- Grow out (of) – to become too big to fit your clothing. Those shoes don’t fit the boy anymore. He’s grown out of them.
- Change out (of) – to take off clothes you are wearing and put on different ones. He changed out of his weekend clothes into his uniform.
- Dress up – dress very smartly. I love dressing up for parties because I normally wear jeans.
- What are the good things about fashion?
- What are the bad things about fashion?
- Do you think it is important to wear fashionable clothes?
- Do you think people feel different when they wear different clothes?
- How does fashion affect our lives?
- Have you seen any strange fashions in your country?
- What do you think of body piercing?
- What fashions that you see today do you think will be out of fashion within two years?
- Do you like shopping for new clothes?
- Do you often buy new clothes?
- What kind of clothes do you usually wear?
- Do you like getting dressed up for special occasions?
- What do you think of the fashion industry?
- Do you think that the clothes we wear reflect what is inside us?
- What do you think of people who always and only wear black?
- What do you think of people with tattoos?
- Why do you think fashion is so important to teenagers?
- Do you think we choose clothing according to our mood?
- Is it possible for women to wear too much make-up?
- Do fashionable clothes really change the way a person looks?
- What differences have you noticed in the fashions here and in your country?
- Are some people more fashion conscious than others? What types/groups of people?
- What traditional clothes do people from your country wear?
- In your country do children have to wear school uniform?
- Did you wear a school uniform?
- Do you think wearing uniforms is a good idea?
- What would you do or feel if you were refused entry to somewhere because of what you are wearing?
- What is your favorite brand?
- Do you go to many shops before buying one particular item or do you just buy the first one you find?
- Did your parents ever make you wear something you didn’t like when you were a child?