English Conversation – Drugs and Alcohol
This is the preparation material for an English conversation lesson about drugs and alcohol. There are many types of drugs, from pharmaceutical drugs that are sold over-the-counter, to soft drugs like marijuana and hard drugs like heroin and cocaine. Some people also believe that alcohol is a type of drug, and of course the most common drug of all is nicotine, which is found in cigarettes. Many big cities around the world have problems with people taking drugs, which can lead to crime as well as the spread of illness and disease.
Video about the ‘war on drugs’
- What do you think of the opinion that the ‘war on drugs’ should be stopped?
- Do you thinking stopping the ‘war on drugs’ would lead to more or less drug problems in society?
High (on drugs)
- Get high – “All he wanted to do was to get high”
- Drugged out – “He was so drugged out he could hardly move”
- Be on – “He is on drugs and can become quite violent”
- Face up to - Ashley faced up to the fact that she had to deal with her drug problem
- What do you know about illegal drugs?
- Many people think marijuana shouldn’t be considered a drug? Do you agree?
- In some countries marijuana is legal. Do you think this is a good idea?
- Are there strong laws in your country to prevent the use of drugs?
- Some countries execute drug traffickers. What do you think about this?
- Is there a drug problem in your city?
- Do you think alcohol is a dangerous drug?
- Do you know any alcoholics?
- Do you like drinking alcohol?
- Is there a drug problem in your school / country?
- Why do you think people take drugs?
- What comes to mind when you hear the word ‘drug addict’?
- What do you think a drug addict does with his/her day?
- Many politicians have used cannabis. What do you think about this?
- What should governments do to help drug addicts?
- Many young children are now using addictive drugs. What do you think about this?
- Do you think drugs lead people into crime?
- What punishment do you think drug dealers should get?
- Would legalizing soft drugs help reduce crime?
- Why do people get into hard drugs like heroin?