English Conversation – Censorship
Censorship is the suppression of free speech, public communication or other information which may be considered harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions. It occurs in a variety of different media, including speech, books, music, films, and other arts, the press, radio, television, and the Internet.
Video on the history of censorship
- How has censorship changed over the years?
- Do you think the way censorship is managed now is better to how it was managed in the past?
- Obscene – behaviour, language, or images that are indecent or immoral
- Slander – making false and damaging statements about a person or company
- Free speech – the right to speak without censorship or restraint
- Morally objectionable – behaviour that is unpleasant, offensive or unethical
- Graphic violence – the depiction of vivid, brutal and realistic acts of violence
- Fear mongering – the act of deliberately provoking public fear or alarm about an issue
- Safeguard – a measure taken to protect someone or something from harm or damage
- Disparaging comments – negative comments made about a person, company or social group
- Mob mentality – behaviour that occurs when people are in a group
- Religious intolerance – intolerance against another’s religious beliefs or practices
- Do you think censorship is a good thing or a bad thing? Why?
- What kind of information is censored in your country?
- Do you think the Internet should be censored?
- What things should never be censored?
- Are history books in your country censored?
- Should racism and hate propaganda on the internet be censored?
- Do you agree there should be censorship in societies?
- Do you think censorship violates freedom of speech?
- Do you thing censorship harms or protects societies?
- What would the world be like if there was no censorship at all?
- What is worst - moral, political, military or religious censorship?
- Should there be more or less censorship?
- What is your opinion of sexual and/or violent content in TV, films and video games?
- Which is it more important to control - sexual or violent scenes? Why should they be controlled?
- Should some sites on the Internet be blocked or banned?
- Should there be a government agency that controls the news?
- Do parents possess the right to censor the information and media seen by their children?
- Do you think it is right for the government to monitor your email and Internet use in the interest of public safety?
- Should freedom of speech be absolute or should it be limited?
- Should people with extreme political views be allowed a voice?