English Conversation – Body Language
This is the preparation material for an English conversation lesson about Body Language. Body language is a form of non-verbal communication used between animals and humans and consists of postures, gestures, facial expressions, and eye movements. Body language can tell us about the attitude or state of mind of a person. For example, it may indicate anger, depression, pleasure, confidence or nervousness. Learning about body language is helpful in relationships, business, in family settings and parenting. Although it is non-verbal, it can reveal a lot about your feelings and meaning to others and also how other others reveal their feelings toward you.
Video about Body Language
- How important are hands in non-verbal communication
- Have you ever experienced a misunderstanding related to body language?
- To make the first move – to be the first to try to start a romantic relationship with someone
- To keep one’s fingers crossed - to wish for luck for someone or something, sometimes by actually crossing one's fingers.
- Actions speak louder than words - What you do is more significant than what you say
- Wave off - When you wave somebody off, you wave to them as they leave
- Wave down - When you wave a vehicle down, you wave your hands to make it stop.
- Bow down – To bend one's knee or body, or lower one's head as a sign of submission or respect.
- Do you think body language is important?
- How does body language help communication?
- Are you aware of your own body language?
- Do you notice other people’s body language?
- What are some typical hand gestures in your culture?
- Can you think of any gestures that are common across all cultures?
- Can you understand something about a person’s personality by looking at their body language?
- What do you think it means when a person fidgets?
- What does it say about a person when they cross their arms?
- What do you think it means when a person stands with their hands on their hips?
- Do you have any body language you would like to change?
- Some people say “you can know a person by their handshake”. Do you agree?
- Do you think body language is different in other cultures?
- What type of eye contact do you think is good?
- Does your eye contact change according to the situation?
- How do you feel if someone doesn’t give you eye contact?
- How do you feel if someone stares at you?
- What body language does a person who is bored show?
- What body language does a person who is nervous show?
- Is body language different between men and women?
- Do you try to use body language when you communicate in English?
- Do you agree that actions speak louder than words?