English Conversation – Advertising
This is the preparation material for an English Conversation Lesson about advertising. You can learn some advertising idioms as well as some common phrasal verbs that are used in advertisements and when talking about the subject of advertising. You can also read some common conversation questions about this topic.
Audio Discussion about Advertising
* Audio courtesy of elllo.org
- Run an ad - to place or put an advertisement in a publication
- Word-of-mouth – to pass on information from one person to another; a form of advertising where a satisfied customer tells friends about a particular product
- To ‘plug’ a product – to promote a product
- Rock-bottom prices – extremely low prices
- Stand out – Our ties will make you stand out in the crowd
- Do without – I think you can do without a new LCD screen
- Shop around – To get a good price, you really need to shop around
- What is the best advertisement you have seen?
- What types of ads don’t you like?
- What is the most shocking advertisement you have seen?
- What is the funniest advertisement you have seen?
- What makes an ad memorable?
- Do you buy products because of advertising?
- What do you think of ads that target children?
- Should alcohol or tobacco companies be allowed to advertise?
- What do you think of celebrity endorsements?
- What kinds of advertisements attract your attention?
- Why is it necessary to advertise?
- Do you think advertising should be allowed to interrupt TV or radio programs? What are the alternatives?
- Do you think the way products are advertised is changing?
- Do you think the government has the right to ban advertising for junk food during children's TV programs?
- When out walking or shopping in the city, do you accept advertising fliers or free samples that are offered to you?
- What is the most advertised product in your country?
- What is the best form of advertising?
- How are commercials today different from commercials 20 years ago?
- What are the harmful and the beneficial effects of advertising?
- Do you think that ads create a desire for more and more material possessions?