Business English – Innovation
This is the preparation material for a Business English Conversation topic about Innovation. Innovation is the development and implementation of ideas that lead to more value for whatever business you are in. This is accomplished through more effective products, processes, services, or technologies. Innovation is different from invention in that innovation refers to the use of a better idea or method, whereas invention refers more directly to the creation of the idea or method itself.
Video about Innovation
- How was Tesco better than its competitor in terms of innovation?
- Do you think this innovative idea could be successfully applied in all countries?
Expressions and Idioms
- Ground-breaking – Characterized by originality and innovation.
- Cutting edge – something that is cutting edge is at the forefront of progress in this area.
- Ahead of its time – To be in an advanced or superior position.
- Light years ahead – if something is light years ahead, it is a long way in front in terms of development and success.
- What are the most important innovations for you in your daily life?
- Have you ever worked for a company that has implemented any innovative ideas?
- Have you ever had an innovative idea? If so, did you put it into action?
- What are the best ways for individuals to come up with innovative ideas?
- How do businesses develop innovative ideas?
- What kind of innovations do you think we will see in the future?
- Why is it important for businesses to be innovative?
- In what ways is innovation challenging?
Look at the following list of twentieth-century innovations. In your opinion, which is the most important? The most useful? The most controversial? The most unpopular?
- Washing machine
- Hearing aids
- Mobile phones
- TV remote control
- Nuclear power
- Genetically-modified food